Saturday, March 19, 2011

Attach Seat(36) to Seat Frame(6) with Hex Bolts(97)...

Oh Boy.
Exhibit A - Krankcycle
I'm in for it.
I now have doc's ok to begin exercise after the pelvic fracture.
And, I found the only way to get back in shape is to use what I used when I went to Nutrition and Fitness School at Duke University - an arm Krankcycle.

I know. It does sounds like a machine you hook your in-laws up to lol, but no. It's a bonifide exercise machine that works the upper body muscles instead of the lower body muscles for a complete workout (see exhibit A). I was all hot to trot to buy one since no physical therapy or gym location on the island owns one. Till I saw the Internet price tag - yowzah.

Exhibit B - Stamina Elite
So, being the resourceful person that I am, and since this is an island with no fitness store, I found a home alternative on Amazon: the Stamina Elite Total Body Recumbent Bike (Exhibit B). Not only does it work the upper body, but also the lower body without stressing my newly mending bone structure! Impressive, right? And,  since I have Amazon Prime,  free shipping!



So, I ordered it.
And it arrived.

But wait. (With me, there's always a but wait.)
I failed to mention to hubby that I saved a hundred bucks by having it shipped unassembled.
(insert sheepish grin here)

Ok. So he gets home from a grueling red-eye from the Pacific Rim, and lo and behold, Stamina Elite Total Body Recumbent Bike Unassembled, arrives early.

And, it arrived, drop-shipped. Now, anywhere else in America that would mean at your door.
Here, on the island, it means shipped via UPS, back truck door opened, said shipment shoved off the end of the truck and dropped several feet to the gravel drive below, and roughly 2 floors, or 29 steps under final resting place.

Oh Jeeze.
Hubby was not amused.

But he was game. So up the 29 steps or 2 floors he carried various parts. On he toiled through the haze of one too many time zones missed. Et voila! 45 minutes to an hour later, Seat(36) is in fact attached to Seat Frame(6) with Hex Bolts(97).  Not only that, but the bungee/phone cord thingy hanging down the back of the machine that looks like I could take calls from the factory in China where this thing was partially assembled, is electronic component (137) plugged into column(46)... and it allows me to tell how fast I'm peddling so I can ride like the wind and sing at the top of my lungs unencumbered by mathematical formulas.

The only thing hampering the operation was rescue dog(1) licking the heck out of hubby's face(2), instead of handing over socket wrenches and such like a good little helper.



All in all, the Stamina Elite Total Body Recumbent Bike works fabulously. So what if island living entails more internet shopping, a little more hard work and sacrifice than living on the Mainland? That's all part of the charm of This Island Life.


Uh-oh. We have an extra bolt. :)
Have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment