Friday, March 18, 2011

Dance of the Tuna Casserole, Oo Oo-Oo, Oo Oo-Oo (Recipe Included!)

If you know my mom, don't tell her this.
Don't tell her that I have been trying for days to deliver a piece of my made-by-scratch, old-fashioned tuna noodle casserole.
It has become quite a joke.
Well I made it on a Monday.
And I tried to deliver it on Tuesday.
But the heat went out, and the van line called with damage claims on the move, and it rained hard all day. And Mom went to the PA Club Lenten Fish dinner. So back it went into the frig.
Well I had it on the counter Wednesday.
Then hubby called; flight delays, bad weather, air traffic stops. To and fro to the airport. Weekly family dinner at 5:30. Back into the frig.
In the bag with Hawaii booty for Mom Thursday morning.
The heating guy came and went. Came and went again. The basement needed moving into the pod.
Back it went into the frig.
When it finally made it to Mom's Thursday night just in expiration date time.
I said Bye, Bye, Baby.
And ate the last piece at home for myself.



photo by Sarah


Have a good one. :)


PS:
My Very Old-fashioned Tuna Casserole Recipe
1. 4 Cups pasta - 8 oz. dry cooked - I use corkscrew type
2. 2 Cups sauce

- you need 4 to 8 oz. grated cheese - I use combo of sharp/med cheddar
-melt around 4 tablespoons butter in saucepan.
- add flour, 1/4 cup into saucepan and stir.
-add a little salt, around 1 tsp. or less, a little cayenne to taste.
- stir constantly over medium high heat till it begins to darken a little, a couple of minutes.
-add in 2 cups of milk and stir like the wind over medium heat til thick and bubbly, 5 minutes or a little less.
-turn off heat, add cheese and stir in to melt.
-taste and adjust seasonings.

3. 2 cups tuna - 2 cans are plenty, I think. On another day I might try 1-2 cups of cubed chicken.
4. 2 cups of vegetables - I use frozen peas, or peas and carrots. Might interesting to try some other veggie like asparagus or something.
5.Mix everything together. Turn into a 3-4 qt. buttered casserole dish.
6.Top with crunchy, buttery topping. I crushed potato chips over the top, and drizzled a little butter over that. Hey, this isn't a low-cal dish! This is Midwest Comfort Food, for gosh sake.
7.Bake 400 degree oven, until top is browned, about 30 minutes.
8.Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment