Monday, September 13, 2010

If a tree falls in the woods...

You know the saying. But here's a twist. This morning I took the dog out (a 16 year-old female cocker spaniel we like to call Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, but  referred to as Quinn) for her morning constitution, and she began nosing around what I thought was a bunch of brown leaves.

Intrepid Investgator Quinn
On closer inspection, I discovered it was, in fact, the brown withered shell of a large crab. Now I know I've been a landlubber for most of my life, and I know we do now reside on an island, but I live what would be roughly 2-3 blocks, if we had blocks, from the Lagoon. And for the withered shell of a crab to show up one morning in my front patch we like to call a yard... well, no I don't think so!

So to put a twist on the usual philosophical quote, if a crab shell shows up in the front yard and there is no one around to see it, who the heck put it there??

This, dear reader, is the stuff islanders are made of! So I did what any self-respecting island greenhorn would do. I did a mobile shout-out to my friend Sue, who has spent more time in and around water in her first years of life than I have in the whole of my 55 years, and who also happens to live here seasonally.

And her answer ladies and gentlemen... wait for it, wait for it... boom. Flying seagull!


Originally, I had thought skunk or maybe raccoon. But I'm gonna go with Sue.



Have a good one.

2 comments:

  1. That's what I was thinking automatically, as I read down to the mobile shout out! Wow... I should be a fish and games sleuth! We have some shells in our city yard that will puzzle future archealolgists.... Hmmmm, moonshells in Boston? Nooooo, we brought them back from our beach in Maine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeesh. Archaeologists will have a heyday in our backyard. Buried swordfish tails. Check. Dog bones. Check. broken pottery from dropping moving boxes check. lol.

    ReplyDelete