Saturday, September 11, 2010

Let the Madness Begin

What does 748 miles + clearing, packing and moving out of a 5,000 square foot house + clearing, packing and moving out of a 2,000 square foot summer cottage + moving into a 2,800 square foot house on an island off the coast of Cape Cod + 3 cats and 1 dog + a traveling husband  + a broken pelvis, all in 8 weeks', yes I said 8 weeks' folks, time = ?

Sheer madness.

But wait. Don't touch that dial just yet. Let me explain.

My Old Kentucky Home
I first got the crazy notion for a simpler life, while traversing Concourse B in Boston Logan for, yet again, the umpteenth time in so many months, that hey, why don't we just slow down and stay in one spot for a bit. I had been commuting from the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area to a small island off the coast of Cape Cod for several years due to health issues in the family, and frankly I was literally wearing out my bones doing it. Rehabbing two knee replacements (from earlier injuries and I'm not that old - 55) in between all this had just worn me down, and I was ready for a rest.

Fast forward to summer of 2010 and voila, I was in the midst of moving out of, and putting onto a dismal real estate market, 2 houses. One, a lovely, large and urbane house in the Cincinnati area, and the other, a unique, historic 4 bedroom Victorian cottage on Martha's Vineyard Island. Oh, and did I mention I found a perfect winterized house on said island that we closed on in same summer of 2010?

Yes, once you get to know me you will realize how this scenario is just one of many crazy, skewed, but typical happenings in my life. But I digress.

Now it is the fall of 2010 and traveling husband, 3 cats and 1 dog and I are somewhat ensconced in our New England winterized house. Well some of us are. :) Hubby is still commuting back and forth from Cincinnati. We expect to keep a townhouse or apt. in NKY once the house there sells. Oh, and the Gingerbread cottage has a contract (closing in October - wish us luck). So all is not lost. Except, I didn't explain the broken pelvis part did I??

Suffice it to say, one does not do the above, somewhat by oneself (remember, traveling hubby?), and go to diet group and not sacrifice something! So I cut back a little too much on the calcium. And then I lifted and carried one box too many. And then I did some heavy overstriding on Concourse B, remember? Hey I'm short, and the bus to the Cape only makes so many runs!! Abracadabra - and a fracture of the pelvis appears!

Anyway, here we are, at 5:30 in the morning having a cup of joe, sitting on a foam cushion, reminiscing about the good times, ha. :)


Victorian Cottage
Check out the photos of the houses. Yes, folks it can be done!       















Have a good one.




Home Sweet Commuting Home

No comments:

Post a Comment