Thursday, October 20, 2011

Works-In-Progress: It's Raining, It's Pouring and I'm a Little Teapot....

I adored those nursery rhymes when I was little.
But when they become part of my adult life, however,  not so much lol.

It has been raining and pouring off and on for a week now, and, I for one, am tired of it.
But if living on this island has taught me one thing, it has taught me tolerance and acceptance.

Here, the island community accepts diversity as a matter of fact, like the time of day or when the next ferry arrives or departs.
We are diverse geographically, botanically, in architecture, culture and cultivation.
Diversity is worn as a badge of honor, something to be respected and revered.
It is what has kept the nation young and vigorous and this island creative and productive.

On 64,000 acres of island land, you can have your pick of diverse town centers.
Do you want to be where the action is? Then head to one of the three down-island Oak Bluffs, Vineyard Haven and Edgartown - each has its own "flavor."

Edgartown
You want day-trip touristy? Go to mostly summer-town Oak Bluffs, and experience the Victorian-era cottages of the CampMeeting grounds. Or browse the many t-shirt and souvenir shops Circuit Avenue has to offer.

You want to step back into the Whaling era? Try Edgartown, with its Greek Revival, shuttered captains' homes, and higher-end boutiques, along with quaint harbor restaurants and sights.

How about the ferry boat's main port-of-call, Vineyard Haven? It's more of the year-round town for the island, and its shops and main street reflect that.

From Kitchenporch.com/Allen Farm
If you want isolated English Moor Mood, try up-island. It's the more rural area of the island, where people live off long, dirt roads and old-island fishing families still head out for catch from the tiny village of Menemsha. Aquinnah holds the Wampanoag Indian Tribe and The Cliffs, a starkly beautiful scene of clay cliffs sweeping down to the ocean.

Settlers came from all walks of life and cultures to create a uniquely individualized island community, from missionaries and Wampanoag Indians, to merchants and whalers, to religious evangelists finding summer shelter. 

Nowadays, you can be waited on by Jamaican waiters, Bulgarian checkers at the grocery store, Brazilian landscaping crews, to American college students earning money for college in the t-shirt shops and cafes.

We have our differences,  and that's o-kay.
We accept all races, creeds, colors, gender identities, sizes and shapes.


Which brings me to my second point: I, like the teapot, am now short and stout. :)
And I, like the little teapot, have gotten all "steamed up"  from having been tipped over and poured out one too many times.



So this little teapot is getting a makeover. A do-over, if you will, of my life.


Whatever you call it, it's going to change and be a little different.
Yep, there's a new sheriff in town and things are gonna change. :)

In no order of importance, this is my new "sugar bowl" list:
1. Meditation
2. A.M. yoga stretch
3.Walk/bike/or pool-time
4. Daily food journal
5. Weigh and measure food
6. Freelance writing assignments/blog
7. Afternoon tea break
8. Daily Chore Check List/Master List (for my family and my mom's care)
9. Knitting
10. Reading

This may look a little like my old life, but make no mistake. Even making one small change can alter the whole picture.

Take for example my check list. My current "project" list I'm overseeing is over four pages long.
FOUR PAGES LONG.
Honestly, how can one feel a sense of accomplishment with a daily list like that?
As I was pondering this, Andy and Jenna came home from their fish-scouting trip to Fla.
And Jenna, God Love Her!, had a suggestion.
Put a check by the works-in-progress (so you feel like you are getting somewhere) and cross out the finished items.
Genius.

To celebrate my new-found independence, I purchased a really nice yarn and pattern for a tea cozy.
I think one of the most important things you can do for yourself, and one that I intend on implementing into my new schedule, is take a short break in the afternoon to "regroup."

Here is my work-in-progress, my Brown Betty Teapot Cozy (pattern on Ravelry from Churchmouse and Teas - the Anniversary Tea Cozy). I used a great little English tweed for the yarn with a wood and Bakelite button for the top.

I know, I know, it does look done. But it isn't. I have to fit it to the teapot and sew the sides to match. And it's looking a bit large, so my choices are: buy a new teapot or frog it (tear out the stitches, for non-knitters) and make it smaller.

My bet is on the new teapot lol.









Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today, and  Have a Good One. :)

4 comments:

  1. Your teapot cozy is so cute! I love teapots. I wish I enjoyed tea enough to buy one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started my teapot collection because I drank tea, but now I just love looking at them, all in a row. You should buy one that makes smile when you look at. Who knows, maybe a friend would love a pot of tea when visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you hon, I need to really take my life and my health in hand and enforce a change for the better! A little tidying up would go a long way to. I love the tea cozy! The yarn is a lovely color - I am very partial to gray. I hope this and all of your other WIPs, get finished - heck and mine too!

    ReplyDelete